My purpose in writing this booklet is to encourage you to fast. At the end of this booklet, I would like to say to you, “Begin to fast,” and I hope you will respond, “I will.” I pray that through fasting you will discover all the treasures that God has put inside you, and that through fasting your longing for God will grow within you from day by day.
I pray that through fasting you will discover the God of love, of hope, of faith, and of peace; and that through fasting you will also meet fellow travelers, and you will meet them in love, in peace, in trust, and in hope. Through fasting, you will receive the strength to overcome the evil that is within you, because fasting should serve that cause also. And so, as we begin, may Almighty God bless you through Mary, the Queen of Peace, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen. – Fr. Slavko Barbaric, O.F.M.
- It opens up our hearts to conversion
- It gives weight to our prayer intentions
- Also it strengthens us in resisting temptations
- Fasting and prayer promote peace in our hearts and peace with one another
- It also teaches us the difference between “wanting” and “needing”
- Plus it reminds us of the plight of the poor and for many in the world who are perpetually hungry
- Fasting and prayer can free us from addictive behavior
- “Fasting will lead us to a new freedom of heart and mind.” — Fr. Slavko Barbaric O.F.M
- It invites the Holy Spirit in to heal our hearts, our relationship with God and our relationship with others